Tuesday, January 25, 2011

AFI FASHION WEEK LAUNCH AT RANDLORDS

Photobucket

While I have been out to all sorts of fancy functions in Cape Town, I had somehow never been to one in Johannesburg. I was told in advance that Jozi does things a little differently, that was clear when I arrived on the top floor at Randlords in Braamfontein. Overlooking the city at such a height is quite special. I understand why locals are so patriotic about Jozi. The energy is somewhat different but I would have to spend more time out here to be able to pin it down. Fashion is another thing altogether here in Johannesburg. Men, straight men, dress to impress here. Just take a look below at my new friends Marc Graham and Tresor Junior.  While the view was amazing, it's not Cape Town of course... I kid.

The gathering allowed the press and elite to mingle before managing director Paul Leisegang and Dr. Precious Moloi-Motsepe discussed their plans for African Fashion International. For one, this year will see the addition of an extra day to fashion week (three shows a night) with the graduates showing off their hard work on day one. Participating graduate designers include: Kutloano Molokomme, Minette Meyer, Ndine Holloway, Melita Ngoasheng, Lebogang Moatshe, Sunette Scheepers, Jessica Sutherland (who I recently met has started a great visual blog), Pride Nkosi, Laura Kass, Nkulueko Msibi, Phumzile Langa, Anja Bredell, Nkosi Nkala, Chantelle Nascimento, Sello Medupe and Portia Moruthane.


The event itself was a whirlwind of meets and quick one-on-ones and I managed to get a few photographs of the guests in attendance. With so many photographers around I wasn't about to butt in and take identical shots of personalities, so take a look at just some of the lovely people I personally encountered at the launch. The Smarteez were certainly interesting to meet as a group, their enthusiasm was exploding on their curious audience. You may recall this post.


David Tlale and Tatum Keshwar pose with Gert-Johan Coetzee (in pink), he was the local designer who gave Kourtney Kardashian one of his dresses and she wore it to the Peoples Choice Awards

With the great reveal that this fashion week will take place at several landmark locations in Johannesburg, I cannot wait to see what all the designers have in store for us. 

Photobucket